There are many attributes which adds to the cost of printed circuit board assembly. Technology and technique used, number of components, package size, packaging, regulatory compliance , testing requirements and quantity are few factors which directly affects the costing. Non-direct factors like lack of design reviews, lack of DFA or DFM experience ( Design for Assembly and Design for manufacturing ) , lack of skilled worker and lack of testing equipments also affects the overall cost of printed circuit board assembly.
Important criteria should not be overlooked in the design state. While designing a product , DFM describes the process to be done to ensure the manufacturing cost is low and tries to eliminate the issues in the design phase itself. The design, size and the placements of components can have enormous effect and increases cost , if not done properly.
Another process which to be kept in mind in the design phase is DFA process. The components chosen in the design phase should be looked at, and decision should be made whether the part can be considered for elimination or can be combined with other parts in the assembly. Also an estimation of the time taken to hold , grasp, manipulate and inserting the part should be considered.
Following are some of the factors which directly affect the assembly cost :
1. The technology used in assembly process like Surface mount (SMT), Through hole or Mixed (both). Assemblies which requires both SMT and through hole will add to the cost.
2. The components are placed on top side only (single sided) or its double sided (top and bottom) PCB. a single sided board assembly cost would be cheaper than double sided.
3. The total number of placements which are to be done.
4. Package size and packaging of the components. The smaller the size of components, the higher the price of overall assembly cost.
5. Quantity and how many types of components are used. Also the availability of components sometimes play major role in BOM costing.
6. Assembly Compliance and test Requirements are also important factors for product based companies and it adds to the cost.
Argus offers complete electronic product design services, design analysis services, PCB fabrication services ,PCB assembly services and testing services.For turnkey projects Argus design methodology consists of both DFM and DFA processes which leads to cost reductions and improvement of design. Also feedback for projects are continuously shared with the customers which helps them to reduce cost and make products better over the years.